Emeralds are the birthstone for the month of May, and they’re believed to symbolize love, rebirth, and fertility. One of the four main precious gemstones, along with diamonds, rubies, and sapphires, they are highly valued for their rich green color, which can range from pale green to deep green. Emerald jewelry in Plantation is beloved by many and very valuable.
Here Are More Fun Facts About Emeralds
- Emeralds were first mined in Egypt, and the famous Egyptian queen Cleopatra loved this gem. She was known to have worn them for their healing properties.
- Columbia is the source of 50% to 90% of the world’s emeralds.
- The largest emerald ever found weighed in at just over 5 pounds.
- Emeralds are relatively softer gemstones compared to diamonds or sapphires. They rank 7.5 to 8 on the Mohs scale of hardness, which means they require careful handling and protection from scratches.
- Their beautiful green color is caused by the presence of chromium and vanadium.
- Often featured in royal and ceremonial jewelry for centuries like necklaces, rings, and earrings, they add a touch of elegance and sophistication to any ensemble.
- Emeralds are found around the world, including the United States. There is an emerald mine in Hiddenite, North Carolina.
- Unlike with other gemstones, flaws in an emerald may be valuable. The flaws in this gem are known as inclusions.
- It’s believed that emeralds possess the ability to act as a truth potion to determine whether a lover’s words could be believed.
- Deep green emeralds are more valuable than lighter hues.
- More rare than diamonds, this gemstone is actually more expensive than diamonds as well.
Shop Our Selection of May Birthstone Jewelry or Have Custom-Made Emerald Jewelry in Plantation Here at Matthew’s Jewelers
If you’re looking for a unique and beautiful gemstone, emeralds are a great option. If someone you love was born in May, they make an especially perfect gift! Here at Matthew’s, we have a wide selection of fine jewelry from top brands including TI SENTO, L’Amour Crisscut, and many others! If you don’t see exactly what you’re looking for, our crafters can make you a personal piece to add to your jewelry box.
Stop in to shop and learn more about our jewelry services including custom-made jewelry today!